A log of musings, contemplations and revelations along the path of life. Both observational and introspective and yet sometimes the biggest challenge of all is believing that yes indeed "dreams" do come true and knowing that living out these dreams is not a passive or tranisient event, it must be pursued!
Sunday, May 2, 2010
Checking up on my Dreams!
So last night, I stayed up and watched a movie: "Educating Rita" which stars Michael Caine and Julie Walters. I first saw this movie I suppose in the 80's back when I was a 20ish year old mother of three small children high school drop out...I remember that this movie moved me immensely. In the movie there is a very "un" educated woman named Rita who decides to get an education, she is married and a bit older than the traditional student. Her tutor is Michael Caine, a washed up has been poet who is rarely sober! She demands that he teach her how to speak and be like the "educated" crowd. Wow, she is desperate. Her husband feels threatened, he can't understand why life is just not good enough for her, hanging out at the pub (the movie was filmed in Ireland), being married to him and trying to have babies. She insists she can't have babies until she knows herself. Aaahh..sometimes we can't fully grasp how far we've come until we take a stroll down memory lane. I used to be Rita. I had to watch this movie just to see if it still moved me and really to remember what it was that moved me in the first place. It was about finding a "new song" to sing. Chasing the dream, even when most would act as if there is no such thing. I thank my God for giving me not just a dream but many to pursue and chase after. Watching this movie made me cry again, it reminded me of the girl I used to be, but no longer am. It reminded me of the great price I have had to sometimes pay to go after those dreams. In the movie, the marriage does'nt survive nor did it in my case. In the movie she ended up thanking her alcoholic professor for teaching her and believing her. In my story I thank the alcoholic in my life whose disease motivated me to believe there had to be a different song to sing. They part as grateful friends for in the end she helps him find his way too. In my story we too are friends, grateful for our experience and lovely because of our wounds.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment